"Just as drinking pervades our culture, it diffused into my personality. I grew into my abuse, like the occasional tree you can find on a nature walk, its roots spilling over both sides of a boulder like outspread fingers, in spite of the rock's lack of soil, moisture, and stability. To see it only at the height of its maturity is to wonder: Why build on that?" ~ Koren Zailckas, Smashed

This blog is one of my many recovery efforts to uproot my damaged foundation and cultivate the right conditions for blossoming.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Craving simplicity

So the job interview went well... and I walk out of it totally freaked out and wanting nothing more than to work in a coffee shop.  Although, I'm pretty sure making a venti decaf skinny macchiato would stress me out as much as "attaining the outcome-driven results in alignment with both state targets and private sector/donar goals to vastly increase the college going rate of low SES students from low performing schools."  So meaningful.... but so terrifying for someone who can barely make it to work five days a week without being derailed by major mood fluctuations.  Ugh what to do?

6 comments:

  1. This is so funny! Not funny ha-ha but funny in the sense that I think this at least once a day. Only I want to become a landscaper. I want to get dirty and be physical and uncover something beautiful from something that is overgrown or ugly.

    I so get you on this one!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I have TOTALLY thought about landscaping! My most common go-to fantasy is owning a quiet little flower shop. "Would you like some extra african daisies with those dahlias?" And I would never have to track it on a spreadsheet. What bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the interview went well. You can do this!

    I also have a fantasy career: commercial truck driver. Just me and the open road, no co-workers, no office politics. Stopping to refuel at those truck stops and eating all that road food. Listening to the radio or a book tape...

    Every time I share this fantasy with someone, they just don't get the allure AT ALL, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO understand that! It sounds blissfully peaceful. Thank god for like-minded recovering alcholics, right? Now I'm adding that one to my fantasy job list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Run at it, 100 percent. What do you have to lose? You will be managing mood swings regardless of where you punch in and for as long as you continue to acknowledge them to be so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just peeked inside Drinking: A love story on Amazon, think I might have to buy that one!!

    ReplyDelete