"Just as drinking pervades our culture, it diffused into my personality. I grew into my abuse, like the occasional tree you can find on a nature walk, its roots spilling over both sides of a boulder like outspread fingers, in spite of the rock's lack of soil, moisture, and stability. To see it only at the height of its maturity is to wonder: Why build on that?" ~ Koren Zailckas, Smashed

This blog is one of my many recovery efforts to uproot my damaged foundation and cultivate the right conditions for blossoming.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I work for a moron.

Really, I do. I know that sounds like such an alcoholic holier-than-thou statement, but it's just true.  The man has  no ability to make clear decisions, never remembers the directions he gave, completely lacks relationship building skills, and thrives - positively thrives - on conflict, contentiousness, and crisis. I have never seen a single idea of his work.  At all.  Not one.   And quite a few of us suffer the fallout.

I started this job 3 1/2 years ago... which was exactly the same time I got sober.   Reader, this is my sober job.  My god, the job description really should have said "If you are in recovery - from anything at all - please DO NOT apply for this job as it will alternately bore you to tears and inflict extraordinary anxiety".  (Okay, I sound super dramatic but hey, I'm an alcoholic.  It's so part of my composition).   So what on god's green earth am I still doing there?  Answer: Sober Fear.  As I said today in a meeting, I managed to regularly change jobs - even industries - with great ease, move to new apartments, travel to new countries, and all kinds of other "oh-how-i-love-change" actions.  But in sobriety, I swear you would see claw marks along the floor of my home if you ever, ever tried to get me to move.  I always loved to travel, but in sobriety I've passed up trips with my husband's work-life to Japan (twice), Thailand (twice), South Africa, and Abu Dhabi (twice).  Yes, we have a little boy so travelling so far would have been a challenge (whether we took him or not) but I can't use that as an excuse.  My sobriety is so much about creating a sense of safety that I just won't come out of my shell - even when it's uncomfortable and I really need to.

I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I am NOT meant to be in this job.  It is so detached from my skills, values, abilities, beliefs that some days I am just saturated with "how did I end up here?" ruminations.  But I know how I got there. I made a decision to leave my old job (which I had outgrown but I loved so deeply) because I needed to get sober.  I took this job because it looked so removed from human emotion and develeopment that I thought it would be a calm, quiet retreat from my "real" career path and I could just focus on sobriety.  I need to take a step back and realize that no matter how damaging this job has been, it really did enable me to focus on sobriety.  The locations alone have been incredible - BOTH locations happen to be down the block from an AA meeting that occur every single day at lunchtime.  I don't know if I would be as sober as I am without that beautiful opportunity.  It has given me flexibility and freedom in many ways. Most importantly, it has given me a very generous salary and benefits that have enabled me to support my family, as my husband's business of 25 years went under financially three years ago.  (The fact that I am the breadwinner is so astonishing to me, but more on that another time).

But despite these benefits, it is not a real livlihood. There is nothing valuable, nothing meaningful coming out of my efforts.  I - along with my colleagues - do not get to use any of my talents or develop in any way.  So, it is time to move on but without the foggy, disorganized, carefree, gypsy-like lens of my "oh I'll just pack up and go" alcoholism, I don't know how to make a clear decision. I don't know how to summon up courage without being three sheets to the wind.  And I always thought I was so adventerous - HA!  Silly me.   This is SCAREY and I hope I can pull myself together, see opportunitites with clear eyes, and make a good decision.

Thanks for reading my super-rambling rant!  ~ Lulu

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can completely relate to this post. I was very spontaneous, up for anything, when drinking. Move at the drop of a hat? Sure! Change jobs? Giddyup! Now, I've overly cautious, too. I guess it's where I'm supposed to be right now (what I'm doing, where I'm at) but I totally get that feeling like, "I'm supposed to be over there! I belong somewhere else." I guess it does just take longer to make a change. So maybe you're ready now. Maybe now's the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you elizabeth! It is always so reassuring when I hear that others have the same experience. I'm always trying to sort out which behaviors/feelings are part of my alcoholism and what's just "me" and regular life. So far, it seems like everything falls into the former! Which is fine with me, really, as long as I stay connected to others in recovery. Thanks again and have a great day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought I was 'up for it' and 'cheerful' and 'positive'. Like all the time. Now I know I am those things, but certainly not all the time. Sometimes I'm quite low key, and serious. Sometimes I'm sad, or angry. I am getting to know sad Mrs D and low-key Mrs D. I'm not sure how much I like her yet. But I'm sure I'll grow to really like her lots. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy weren't we fearless as drinkers? Ha, how quickly that changed. I think there is an unspoken seriousness we all carry in our sobriety. We are almost afraid to "rock the boat" for fear that if we do everything will go to hell. That is so not true. I think the more we grow the easier it will be to truly trust in ourselves and to take more chances. Because this time it will be true self confidence and not just alcohol induced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you and I might have some things in common. And I enjoy rambling in comments because I have to edit myself on my blog. My anonymity was blown ages ago. You'll know the exact moment that its time to move on. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lulu, I can so relate to so much of what you've posted here. Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving your comment :-) I know for me it took a long time before I had th ecourage and faith to put myself out there and try. I've been hurt, burned, judged, etc. I've also has great success and fun. Through it all HP kept me safe, I've stayed sober, surrounded by loving AA friends, and family.

    It's all just a once day at a time deal, so keep coming back, be true to yourself and you'll be amazed at what happens!!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete