"Just as drinking pervades our culture, it diffused into my personality. I grew into my abuse, like the occasional tree you can find on a nature walk, its roots spilling over both sides of a boulder like outspread fingers, in spite of the rock's lack of soil, moisture, and stability. To see it only at the height of its maturity is to wonder: Why build on that?" ~ Koren Zailckas, Smashed

This blog is one of my many recovery efforts to uproot my damaged foundation and cultivate the right conditions for blossoming.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

My birthday eve is great because...

...I am sober!  How blissful is that?  I'm actually NOT spending a birthday indluging in pseudo-romantic illusions about my life.  Instead, I am just living it.  The difficult parts (Where am I going in my career? How do I create more solid friendships? When will I ever learn how to manage money?!) and the blissful parts (adoring my son, loving my husband, relishing my garden, treasuring my photography, ever and always loving my beloved brooklyn home). 

I love that my 40's are sober.  I am treasuring every minute of this decade (43 tomorrow!) and I am deeply grateful to everyone in meetings, writing recovery books, and creating recovery blogs for inspiring me each and every day...

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Happy birthday! I hope you have a beautiful day!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Lulu :-) The sober ones kick ass way more than the drunk ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Lulu, I agree with Kristin, my sober Bdays are actually worth remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I am a sober mom, living in bumscratch Queens, drooling daily over thoughts of moving to Brooklyn. I just ran across your blog and look forward to reading about how another woman expresses her wackiness.

    Thanks!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete